Monday, March 15, 2010

Why I don't like the iPhone

People ask me this, and I just could never put it into words. Well, I could put it into WORDS but not good words. Tim Bray just did that for me. In his recent post on "Joining Google" Tim crafts a few sentences that saw what I never could.

The iPhone vision of the mobile Internet's future omits controversy, sex, and freedom, but includes strict limits on who can know what and who can say what. It's a sterile Disney-fied walled garden surrounded by sharp-toothed lawyers. The people who create the apps serve at the landlord's pleasure and fear his anger.

I hate it.

I hate it even though the iPhone hardware and software are great, because freedom's not just another word for anything, nor is it an optional ingredient.


Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. You should follow Tim Bray on Twitter. Really.

2 comments:

微笑每一天 said...

thank you for you to make me learn more,thank you∩0∩

Nate Tack said...

Yes, it would be nice if Google allowed you to do whatever you want with your own hardware, I mean you own it right? You should be able to have root access to the hardware that you own right? Surely Google would understand this because they are a big fan of "openness" and opposed to Apple's closed way of doing things?

Umh, does this count as open?
http://www.androidcentral.com/google-pulls-easy-root-market

It is a bit silly to be running a PR campaign on the idea "that were open, freed etc" but pull an app off the store that does the most basic of all things, give you root access.