Thursday, May 21, 2009

My First Fixie

I'm in the process of building my first fixed gear bicycle. Something about the minimalist in me craves a fixie. And while I'm not into Portland's bike scene, I think the people that ride here have a good style. So, after reading many articles and following several very good fixie blogs, I decided to give it a whirl.

I bought an old Bianchi from Nathan who had purchased it from a friend. It was pretty beat up:




With some reading online of how to repaint a bike, and some very good advice from Joe Neff, I got to work stripping the paint off.



After 2 rounds of spray paint remover, this is what it looked like:


So then I used some gel paint remover and a pack of steel wool, which after 2 more coats and an hour of polishing, I was finally done.









This last weekend I bought a set of wheels, which after looking around I got a pretty good deal on. Surly hubs with Mavic CXP 33 rims.





For shits and giggles I put it all together just to get a feel for it.


I'm going to need to get a new stem, something with a rise of like 15 deg, and some bars that don't sweep back so much. I'll have to get new cranks and a different chainring, because the back is a 15 tooth and the front is 52, which is too much for me. Still trying to figure that out though.

More pics to follow as I prime, paint, etc.

No comments: