Sunday, October 26, 2008

Those great fall weekends

The last 2 weekends have been awesome, both in terms of weather and activity. Last weekend I hit Madrone on Saturday with Moira and Carver on Sunday with Gary and Chamisa. Gary and I talked about Carver this week, and determined it's not worth bouldering there anymore. It's a shame really, but sitting down in mud to put my feet above my hands for a super hard move to get off the ground is not fun.

The week went by quickly, and next thing I know it's Friday night and Nathan lets me know REI's garage sale is at 8am the next morning. Now I'm always up for a deal, but waking up at 6am to stand in line for 3.5 hours to buy used gear doesn't quite do it for me. But, I did get a wicked nice $200 Osprey backpack for $65. We made it back out to Madrone yesterday and I did an extension to a warmup route, 10a, which was really fun. Gotta love jugs, and the weather was perfect.

Today, I woke up pretty late and got crackin' on some yardwork. When I was done, I drove out to Beacon to solo the SE Corner. Most days it's a super chill climb, but today it was windy, VERY windy. Any time I was climbing on the east face of the route, the wind could gust up to 60 or 70 mph. It was crazy, but exhilarating. At no point was I worried, as it's such a secure route. Keeping a cool head is key.

I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with my high school friend Burt. We chat every month or so. Today we talked about politics (surprise!) and the old days. Being reminded of my time in the martial arts always brings a smile to my face. Some day maybe I'll start training again. Someday.

No comments: