Thursday, June 05, 2008

On MMA

I've been watching a lot of MMA lately. The best thing I could have done was to put Cage Potato in my Google Reader. There's been a lot of talk recently about fighter salaries. What I find almost insane is the, in my opinion, measly wages paid to some fighters, especially if they lose and/or get injured.

Here are the payouts for UFC 84 and WEC 34. Back in the first season of The Ultimate Fighter, I heard Forrest Griffin would become a 12 and 12 fighter, which means he'd earn $12,000 to fight, and a $12,000 bonus if he won. Looking at the UFC 84 salaries, it's mind-bending that Jon Koppenhaver earned $8000 while Keith Jardine, who knocked out Forrest Griffin, beat Chuck Liddell, AND was in a HUGE fight that night in terms of promotional value, earned $10,000. Maybe fighters earn less if they're knocked out quickly? I mean, Jardine beat Wilson Gouveia in the past, but earned $8000 LESS this fight?

However, I've found a few links that suggest the fighters are taken care of outside their contract. In this post-fight press conference (7:15 into the vid), Dana White alludes to Jardine being paid more, yet he won't tell. Sounds more like he's stringing the reporter on, but it might be a good idea so fans don't get a sour taste in their mouths.

No comments: