Wednesday, April 30, 2008

There's a Chance I Like Smith

Last weekend Joe and I went down to Smith. Now normally I would have avoided the place, or gone bouldering, but I decided I should give it another try. Lo and behold, I like it. What I like are the moderate multipitch routes. I'm not into super tiny, painful holds on slabby or vertical routes, at least not if they're hard. Smith is not my place to project. It is my place to get off the deck though.

On Saturday we warmed up in the main area, then did Tammy Faye, a 2 pitch 5.9/10c route which was REALLY good. We then went over Asterisk Pass and did Wherever I May Roam, a 5 pitch 5.9ish route. Joe lead the first pitch, I swung lead and did the 2nd, he the third. At the 3rd belay ledge, there was a team trying to rap down, but 2 of the guys had to hang out for a while. I climbed through, and with the rope bag on, lead the crux 9+/10- 4th pitch and strung it together with the final 5.8 pitch. I kinda ran out of draws so I had to skip a few clips. After waiting for about 45 min to rap down, we hit the ground and called it a day.

Sunday we did the first pitch of a 3 pitch route, as it was really sunny and hard route finding on the 2nd pitch. We headed over to the Outward Bound base camp and did some bouldering, then bailed.

I'm excited to get back and try my hand at some more multipitch routes. Next, Zebra/Zion!

No comments: