Though I knew this, I still did it, by accident.
I was attaching earthquake straps to my hot water heater.
After getting the top strap attached, I went to pre-drill for the bottom strap. Lucky me, I hit a stud! Lucky me, I also hit a high pressure line that feeds the rest of my house.
After pulling off the drywall and chiseling the stud, this is what it looked like:
I had read "How to Repair Plumbing Pipes" so I measured the pipe (gotta think measure the inside diameter)
and ran to Home Depot to get a "C" clamp.
The one piece of rubber didn't fit the 1/2" clamp, so I stuck both pieces in there and clamped it down.
I turned the water back on, and low and behold... it leaked.
While it's not hard to solder, or so I've been told, I don't have the tools, nor would I want to mess it up any more. Early tomorrow morning I'll call the plumbers and see what I can arrange.
Now, time to hit 24 Hour Fitness for a shower.
Fixed before I even went to work this morning!